Even though The Porch has been a part of this movement for awhile, personally I never really took the time to connect to it.
As a student, life was just so busy around this time of year; all I could really do was look forward to a break.
In Costa Rica, things were pretty similar, with the added bonus of looking forward to seeing family and friends I hadn't seen in months.
After I started working retail last year, the idea of have weeks off around Christmas changed. Suddenly, I only had a 24-36 hour period to head to my folks' place and celebrate Christmas. We didn't even make it to a Christmas Eve service because we really wanted to take advantage of our time together as a family.
This year it's my goal is to really lean into the plan and vision of [AC]. The last few years I have just felt so disconnected from Advent; this year I want that to change.
Based on four tenets [Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More, Love All], [AC] encourages us to take the time to slow down and focus in on the Savior whose advent we're meant to be preparing for. Over the next few weeks I plan to get into each of these topics, sharing thoughts and ideas based on discussions around The Porch, as well as my personal experiences.
If you're feeling discouraged by how much debt you accrue this time of year, or struggle to remember why Christmas is anything more than time with family and gifts, I invite you to join in the [AC]. This season, let's turn Christmas upside down.
1 comment:
I'm definitely seeing Christmas in a different light this year! Having my own child not only makes the Nativity story hit a little closer to home (I sure enjoyed my epidural vs. Mary was in a BARN?!?), but I'm also evaluating everything through the lens of "baby's first Christmas."
It will be interesting to follow along with you and see how much my experience has in common with yours:)
Post a Comment