Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

[AC] Worship Fully

This first week of [AC] is focused around the idea of worshiping fully.

During our Porch gathering last night, we spent some time discussing what this means. How do we take some extra time to slow down during this season and focus in on Jesus?

Parents shared stories of advent wreaths on kitchen tables, lit candles, Bible reading, and discussion over family dinners. (Growing up we would use that tall countdown candle that had 25 numbers and pictures on it, that way each night you let it burn through one day, getting us that much closer to Christmas. Of course we also would read Bible stories with our advent calendar in the evenings; I just always loved that candle!).

A friend of mine asked a question that I was wondering also: it seems that all these advent traditions are focused around families with children - but what do you do if you don't have kids?
(I was thinking - what do I do if it's just me?).
In response, others shared about special advent devotionals, or Pandora stations that helped them focus in and worship.

For starters, I've decided to begin using [AC]'s interactive daily advent calendar.

I've also decided to try to be more disciplined about spending time in prayer, silence, and Bible reading. What better way to slow down, quiet our hearts, and focus in on Jesus than by, you know, actually setting aside a chunk of time to be with him? 

For me, this also means I'll be cutting down the amount of time I waste on facebook. This doesn't mean I'm not using it at all, it just means that, when I get up in the mornings, I won't spend my first 20 minutes just scrolling through my facebook feed. Instead I'll use that time in a more productive way, like washing the dishes, or taking extra time for my daily Disciplines reading.

What about all of you? How are you centering in and worshiping fully this advent season?

4 comments:

Beth said...

Yep, loved those candles! But I really loved the advent calendars where we'd pop open a door that had the next part of the story...and we'd take turns reading from number 1 up to the current day. We'd have the whole Christmas story memorized by December 24th!

Even with Emerson, we have a baby advent book that we read at night, a book called, "Christmas in the Manger," and her sweet fisher price Nativity Set! Looking at Christmas in such a simple way has been refreshing. I tear up almost every time I read the last page of her book..."I am the baby, asleep in the hay, and I am the reason for Christmas Day."

There it is. <3

Unknown said...

Mom and I are reading a Deitrich Bonhoffer(not sure if I spelled his name right Advent daily devotional this year. Trying to be more intentional at drawing closer to God as we prepare for Christmas.

Emily said...

That's great Beth. I can't wait to celebrate Christmas with Emerson!

I've been wanting to read more Bonhoeffer lately also! Could you share the name of that book? (And your name:-).

PaulX said...

I can't remember the name off the top of my head. I will check and let you know.