This phrase will forever make me think of Lindy Scott. Throughout all the ups and downs of our work in Costa Rica, Lindy would just take a deep breath, and calmly remind us that "life is good". And he was always so right. I just marveled at his leadership when he would use that little phrase to remind us all to take a step back from the insanity/stress/worry of the moment and realize that, truly, our lives were awesome.
I've been thinking about my time in CR a lot lately. And I've been marveling at God's timing throughout all of this.
Most of you probably don't know this, but a few months before graduation (in the spring of 2010), Dave (pastor at the Porch) and I were ready to go for it. We were going to just create this position, I was going to be the newest employee at the Porch, it was all going to happen.
And then over a series of events (in about 3 days) God made it really clear that I was supposed to take another look at this whole volunteering in CR thing. Long story short, I applied, got the job and moved to CR. And felt like the worst Porch person ever for leading Dave and that community on.
Here we are 2 years later, and all the things we were just starting to dream about are now happening. I live in dear ol' West Central, I'm on staff at the Porch, and we're all together focusing on ways that we can become more invested in our neighborhood.
Which bring me back to my original musing - I've been thinking about my time in CR a lot because my work right here and now in WC reminds me SO MUCH of our work those first few months in CR. My work now is "easier" in many ways because I have a broader, better established network to tap into, with many connections already existing on some level, and, oh yeah, (almost) everyone speaks English. (Side note: lately I've been able to speak Spanish with quite a few customers and other mall employees at the Body Shop - Spanish times, I miss you!).
It's super clear to me now that the work I did in CR was on some level preparing me for the work I'm doing now. On the Monte I learned so much about myself and grew in big ways professionally and personally, so that I now have some actual game plans for my work - ideas and things that never would have existed in my mind had I not put in the time in CR beforehand, and learned from the wisdom of those working alongside me.
Mostly I'm just so grateful to be where I am now - to know that I am in God's will and calling, getting to do something that I love.
As you think about me in the next days/weeks, please pray that I can be focused in my work, and that I may be as effective as possible in the time that I have.
Also, please pray for my finances - as of today I am 60% funded. This is huge and I am so thankful for all of you who feel called to invest in my work and ministry. The goal is to be fully funded by September 1st, which means that I have a bit of a way to go. If you would like to support my work, click on the "donate" button on my About page.
Please pray that I reach my goal by September 1st!
No comments:
Post a Comment