It's sweet to become a neighbor.
Oftentimes we get so caught up in the busyness of our own lives that we forget about the people living life right next to us. At least, I know I can definitely be accused of living this way at times. And while I think life is all about rhythms - in some periods we need more solitude, and in others more community - I think simply being neighborly is something we can easily forget.
Here in West Central, I'm trying to become more of a neighbor. It's crazy to me that I've already been living here for 2 months! In some ways I'm making real progress, and in other ways I still don't even know the people that live next door. This is something I've decided I'm going to try to work on and be more intentional about doing, getting to know the people around me better.
Becoming a neighbor is something that happens slowly but surely. I love living here, walking
from home, to the office, to Indaba, etc, and running into people that I
know. The more I see of WC, the more I love it. And I
love becoming a part of this awesome little community. (As a Whitworth
alum, I am obviously a community junkie. So much so that my favorite TV
show even carries that title - Community). I love that every day I meet
new people. It's exciting to think about the work/life/friend prospects
of just knowing and caring about all the people in close proximity to
you. But I'm realizing that I need to push myself a bit more to really get out there and meet my neighbors. The more I dig in around here, the more grateful I am for these people, this place, this opportunity.
My living situation is no exception. I love
getting my own space, but living on the same plot/compound with others. It's awesome
that I have an assigned laundry day because 7 of us share the washer and
dryer. I am experiencing the Biblical theme of community in an entirely
new way these days - at home in the Caraway Commune, with my Porch
family, and just living in WC. I have a feeling this is a theme I'll be
revisiting over and over.
So don't be alarmed if you hear me singing "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" a little more often. Mister Rogers seemed to have some things figured out.
No comments:
Post a Comment