July 1st I simultaneously moved into a new apartment and started my new job at the Porch! So the last couple of weeks have been a little packed as I've worked on getting settled in my new place, continuing to raise support, and figuring how to get started with my new job. Maybe I'll tackle all of this in that order.
New Place
My apartment is so amazing! It is more than I could even have known to ask for. It's a cute little 2 bedroom apartment set behind a couple's house. Not only is it my own place (didn't think I'd be able to afford to live alone), but I still feel secure knowing that a family and two other renters live in the house right in front of me. Also, the family is already composting, gardening, has chickens, and rainwater catchment systems in place. All the things I could ever want to do at my own place, already happening! And it all came together so smoothly and quickly, I can only thank God for preparing this wonderful spot just for me.
Raising Support
I'm about a third of the way funded, which is super encouraging. I'm continuing to trust that God has called me to this work and this neighborhood, and that he'll take care of all the details to keep me here.
New Job
It's exciting to start getting more connected with details of the Porch again. (Near the end of college I was volunteering around the office). I had my first (of what I can only assume will be many) coffee date/meeting this morning, with a woman who has been doing similar work in the neighborhood for years. Tomorrow she's going to take me for a walk through of the neighborhood, so that I can become more acquainted with what is where, and begin my list of who I need to start connecting with. It looks like this is what the first couple of months will be for me - making connections, getting to know the people and the places in West Central in order to begin identifying needs. Then I'll start coming up with a plan and finding people who want to get more involved. But it's all getting off to a very exciting start!
I'll leave you with a quote I saw in Common Prayer:A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals last week, that really inspired me:
"I read in a book that a man called Christ went about doing good. It is very disconcerting to me that I am so easily satisfied with just going about".
- Toyohiko Kagawa (1888-1960)
1 comment:
This is great to hear about Emily! Glad to hear that you are using your gifts where you have been called. Blessings from India!
Post a Comment