Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Catching Up

Funny thing. Just minutes after I published that last blog post I found this amazing quote on Bean's blog (check it out if you haven't - she's the best - thebeankielbon.wordpress.com):

"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen" - Benjamin Disraeli

I feel like this quote voices that which I am constantly feeling. I always want to post everything on this blog but just don't have time. Every day things happen that I wish I could share with you all - funny experiences, learning experiences, or just things that I think are cool and that I think you all might enjoy as well. I'm constantly trying to decide what are the most important things to share on this blog that I only have the time or energy to update periodically. Anyway, I just really identify with that quote and thought I'd share.

Let's see: it has only been about 2 weeks since our JTerm group left us. We had about two days between them and the arrival of the Yoder Holsinger family, and then another day before the arrival of our 20 spring semester students. After a week of orientation and the beginning of classes, we had a convivio Saturday morning with all of our host fams, and then sent our students home with the families afterwards.

Sunday we got our first real day off in about a month and a half and it was glorious! The Holsingers, Lara, Derek and I loaded into the van and took a beach day. Two and a half hours later we were soaking up the rays, humidity, and almost 100 degrees of Playa Hermosa. It was the perfect beach day, and my soul needed it. After a few hours of heaven, we drove back up to our mountain, where it was atleast 30 degrees colder.

Mondays are now internship days (as opposed to Fridays), so yesterday I spent most of the day driving students back and forth from their internships. Today was the first day that all the students were back on campus since they left for their homestays, and it was great to hear the stories. I started 1 on 1s with a few of my 7 students today, taking an hour or so with each of them to hear how they're doing academically, personally, how they're transitioning, etc. It is great to hear how well our students are adjusting and how much they're enjoying the homestays already.

Oh, and today we got a package from one of our Jterm freshmen! It was full of letters, cute Valentine's Day decorations, and awards for each of us 24/7s. You are the best Olivia and you totally made our day!

On a different note, it is so strange for me to be here in Central America while this current CASP group is as well. I guess I just remember my trip so vividly because I'm back in the region and having some of the same experiences, which makes me think of this current group so much more. This last Friday they were all dropped off in their Honduran homestays. This is the part of CASP where they are all alone in a different little town in the mountains of Honduras for a month. While this was an amazing learning experience for me, it was also one of the loneliest, most difficult months of my life. During this time I read the book Gracias! by Henri Nouwen. This last Friday I started rereading it in honor of these CASP students who are probably reading it right now in their Honduran homes. Seriously, if you've never read this book you really should - it will change your life. And if you're thinking of them, say a prayer for the CASPers - this is one of the most rewarding, but also intense parts of the program.

Well, I know this post was a random smattering of information, but thats kind of how my life is right now (and really has been for the last 7 months)- just trying to get things done and emails answered when I can in between running errands, helping students connect to the wifi, making phone calls, cataloguing library books, etc. I guess thats why they call Bean, Lara and me 24/7s!
Life is good!

No comments: