Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Capital! Capital!

For those of you that didn't catch it, my title is a Pride & Prejudice reference. We'll get to that in a minute.

Well, things continue as crazy busy as ever here at Whitworth South. This last week we took our students on a canopy/zipline tour about 30-40 minutes away from our campus. They loved it, and Bean and I were happy to give it a second go-round.

This week our fearless leader has been up at Whitworth North for work and spring recruitment purposes, so Bean, Dinorah and I have been holding down the fort. Good times.

My Jane Austen reference at the beginning is in honor of an amazing party we (Bean and I) and all the students had last night: a Pride & Prejudice party! One of our student has actually spent the last 12 years (with the exception of the last two while he's been attending Whitworth) living with his family in Costa Rica. So yesterday all but one of us (missed you Raquel!) headed to his folks' home: 3 buses and 2 hours later we were ready to start the party! Costumes came out, beards were shaved into chops and mustaches, British accents appeared out of nowhere, scones were baked, biscuits and marmelade consumed, and of course, plenty of tea for all! We spent from about 3pm-midnight watching the 6 hour BBC version of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice, with snack, dinner, and dance party breaks in between of course. Sooooo much fun! Some of the favorite quotes of the evening were "capital, capital!", "shocking, abominable reply! How shall we punish him?", "Lord I'm so fat!", "Have a little compassion on my nerves!", "We seem to have been designed for each other", "What are you talking of", etc. For those of you who know the movies by heart like I do, you understand that the vocal inflections are of 'great doctrinal import' to all these quotes.

So, last night's party was basically the highlight of the week. It was a great time to get away from the normal scene, be off the freezing cold, windy mountain, and be in a semi-normal "home" atmosphere. It was a wonderful time of just being together, not worrying about school stuff, and being transported for a few short hours to the world of Jane Austen, a place that is like home to my heart. Thanks Nelson family!

9 comments:

T.R.M. said...

How wonderful -- a Jane Austen party in Puerto Rico! It sounds like a blast, and I'll bet you made a few Austen converts during your Jane-a-thon, as well. It's great to hear that things at Whitworth South are much as they are at Whitworth North: filled with unexpected pleasures and chances to educate the mind and heart. (Sorry. I went all Whitworth PR there for a moment.)

I do love your posts, Emily. Keep 'em coming!

Love the Decor! said...

So nice to see you get a break every now and then!!
How could you go wrong with Jane Austen anyway : )

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh Em! A Jane Austen adventure in Costa Rica, how much fun is that! "Lord, Im so fat!" is one of my favorites! that movie brings back great memories of you! So glad you are enjoying yourself. Zip lining in Costa Rica sounds like fun too! miss you and be safe! and keep living up those adventures!muuuahhhhh! :)

griseldamunter said...

ooops my bad! that last comment was from me but hit enter instead of reading it first, sorry!

Bailey said...

That is amazing and awesome. I'm kind of jealous. I just talked to Linnea, and we both thought that the event was awesome. : )

Lara Lichten said...

¡Que maravillo, Em! Can't wait to join you all!!!!

Diane said...

I think I need a picture of the facial hair...beards/mutton chops? That book & or movie would be great in any country!! I think I may have to host a party here...Lowd, I'm sooo fat...
Love you!

Beth said...

I do love Pride and Prejudice. And the six hour movie.

The newest movie with what's her face....not so much. But you know how I feel about that.

:)

Danielle said...

This is amazing. I can't wait to party when you get home!