Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Honduras

Okay, so when I say this will be my last post in awhile, I mean it this time. We crossed the border into Honduras yesterday without any problems at all (we didnt even have to get out of the buses, our leaders just took the big stacks of passports into the office, came out, and we drove on through). Dan Plies and Karla Morgan met us there, it is great to see them again. We are staying in Copan, a little touristy town which is only about 20 minutes away from the border.

Honduras is definately completely different from Guatemala. For one thing, it is way hotter and more humid here. There are other small things, such as the people just look a little different here. There is a much lower concentration of indigenous peoples in Honduras, compared to the many in Guatemala.

This morning we went to visit the Copan Ruinas, it was amazing. We spent about two hours walking around the ruins with a guide. It is just so overwhelming for me to imagine people actually living in such a place. The Mayans were pretty legit back in the day, everything from living in stone houses with really tall steps, to playing games with an 8 pound ball you have to bounce off your knees or hips, and then the captain of the winning team is sacrificed to the gods, as an honor for winning (getting to go straight to the afterlife, and have virgins waiting for you). It fills you with awe, the structures that these people built and the beauty of them all. I have a hard time imagining people actually living there.

Tonight is our last night together. Tomorrow morning we head out in our different cluster groups, and go to our homestays. I dont yet know where I am going, but will find out in the next few hours. On February 27th, we will meet together in our smaller groups and travel to the capital, Tegucigalpa.

Prayer requests
Please pray that I will make relationships with my host family members quickly, as I am most worried about feeling lonely.
Also, pray for all of us and our spanish skills. The spanish spoken in the campo is quite different from the spanish we learn at school.
Many people have been feeling kind of sick the last few days. Pray that we will all get healthy so that we may fully enjoy our time in our homestays. I have a sinus infection, but started on some antibiotics last night. Please pray that they will work quickly, and that I will be 100% again soon. And pray that we will all be healthy during the entirety of our homestay.

Well, I will really miss all of you these next three weeks. Please make sure to continue emailing me, so that when I do finally get to check my email, I will have emails. Also, there is another mail dropoff time coming up soon, I would always love mail.

I love you all and covet your prayers. Talk to you in a few weeks!

Emily

No comments: