Well, after 30 hours of grueling flights, layovers, and bus rides, we made it safely to Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.
I am staying with two other girls from our group, and our house family is great. Judy and Pepe are our host parents, and we are having a good time with them. Judy is an amazing cook, and Pepe is really funny. We have been surprised with how well we actually understand them, maybe it has something to do with the fact that they have been housing language school students for the last 13 years. Judy speaks very slowly and understands enough english that we communicate easily with her. Pepes spanish is a little harder to understand, and he doesnt know any english, so he doesnt really talk much. But when he does, it is usually funny.They have a very nice house, and we have plenty of space. We even have as many hot showers as we want! The best part is, we can flush our toilet paper at their house!!! All other places in central america, you really cant because of the bad sewer systems.
Today was our second day of language school, and it has been pretty intense. We are studying with tutors one-on-one for 5 hours in the morning. It gets kind of long, and I dont really feel like my spanish is improving yet, but Im sure it will. Every afternoon, we go on some kind of activity through the school. Today we went to a ladies house and she taught us how to make chocolate which will be used for hot chocolate. The weather her is very nice, although a little chilly.
That is all for now. I will try to write more soon.
I love and miss you guys!
8 comments:
Everything sounds great! I hope you learned how to make chocolate!
Alex wants to learn how to make chocolate when you get back. Have fun.
Kelly and Alex
Hi Em,
Things sound good. I am soo glad. Your tummy must be doing okay huh?
I love you,
Daddy X
HI EM you sound like you are doing well. Just a note to say Ian called from Kuwait and is doing good. I know God is keeping both of you close to Him. Love, Aunt Mary
Good to hear that you're there safe and sound! Hope the food's treating you well :)
Miss you Em!
God Bless-
Tay
I miss you roommate and just so you know just because you are gone does NOT mean that desperate housewives will be posted the day after like it says it will
ahh the joy
miss you!
Have you driven anywhere? I head driving's pretty bad down there. =)
heard*
Post a Comment